Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Love Words....Wordy Wednesday Week One


“Words... They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good any more... I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little or make a poem which children will speak for you when you're dead.” 
― Tom StoppardThe Real Thing: A Play


Words can be powerful.  Words can make you feel as though you are the most important person in the world.  Words can make you feel like you want to lay down and die in a hole.  Words can calm a tense situation.  Words can create and effect change.  On the other hand, words are capable of igniting an unstoppable fire, forever dividing anyone in their path.

My son has ADHD.  I won't go into details here of his story, but anyone who has a child who struggles with behavior problems might know and be able to relate to the challenges we face everyday.  We are also a blended family.  My husband does not always have the patience for my son and I am often torn up by this reality.  Also the reality that the world (including myself) does not always have the patience that my son requires.

My son is thirteen and starting seventh grade.  He is the most beautiful, fun-loving and deep down kindest person I know.  He is super intelligent even though his performance does not always show it.  We had a pretty rough year starting middle school.  One that culminated with yelling arguments, numerous behavior plans, phone calls from the school, demands to go live with his dad, family therapy, visits from social services and also a decision to start medication after many years of refusing this route.

Given that I am sort of anonymous, I'm feeling kind of at ease posting this.  I find a lot of support online when I'm needing it.  My family is at odds when it comes to what is best for my son.  Mostly, I hear that he is just a normal boy doing normal boy things.  I'm not so sure anymore that trouble finding him wherever he goes is normal or very good for his self-esteem.  I know he is at such a cross roads in his life (middle school) and he needs a strong and supportive family to back him now more than ever.

So here goes my version or opposite version of the popular "Wordless Wednesday" postings, "Wordy Wednesdays".  Each week I'm posting on my fridge a quote that I want my son and my family to remember and for all of us to hopefully reflect on.  My version (a very inexpensive version) of therapy.


No comments:

Post a Comment